Sunday, May 23, 2010

Post #1: It begins!

I write from a moderately bustling Terminal E at Boston's Logan International Airport. After a whirlwind weekend, months of planning, agonizing, and anticipation, I sit alone in an airport and... wait. Fifty minutes remain until boarding and all I can think of is: I'm missing the series finale of Lost.

Of course there's more bouncing around my head besides that. I have a ton of blank paper in my checked luggage, and a bevy of pencils and other media waiting to be applied to those pages. This is more than just a portfolio-building exercise, Scandinavia 2010 is a challenge for myself to develop my abilities to critique architecture thorough 2D media. Rather than make life easier, I believe digital technology throws a heavier responsibility onto our shoulders: that of producing insightful and meaningful interpretations of the world around us. The observations I record here are not merely for my own archival purposes; rather, they only attain meaning when shared.


What I mean is, use the comment function! All of you who know me and are reading this blog should also know that you helped me get here, in whatever small or large way. I appreciate you input and, honestly, it will only help me grow! 


The flight is boarding soon, so I must sign off for now. My next post will be from Reykjavik!


Much love to all!

3 comments:

  1. Catherine, Best wishes to you as you begin your journey to Iceland! Thanks for calling tonight. Thanks for blogging. Take photos. Write stories. Keep us posted. We want to be part of the adventure. Much love,
    Robb and Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice start to your journey!! Enjoy REK!! It's a lovely city and Iceland is a great country! ENjoy the skyline from the church(you will see)
    Lot's of love, Mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey i noticed your link on gchat, i love your documentation, scandinavia is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete