Sunday, May 30, 2010

Day 3 Part 2 - Vík í Mýrdal

Much of inhabited Iceland is small villages and towns that dot the landscape around Highway 1. Vík í Mýrdal (or Vik for short) is one of these towns.


I took a walk around town with after dinner with Lindsay and Keith. The town was quiet, since all of its members were gathered at a multipurpose space for some meeting. The houses are all cute and European, and I would have liked to see their interiors. 

A great surprise awaited me when I looked inside a small time-worn warehouse. Using a block of wood to boost my height, I pulled my face up to the window pane, peered inside through the gloom and saw this:


The ship looked to be over one hundred years old. The hotel across the street from the building declared itself to be built in 1832, so I would believe the ship to be from around that time.

The church sits on the highest hill of the town, overlooking the landscape. Even higher than the church sits the graveyard. I noticed the more recent graves were covered with sod. A short walk further revealed a patch of grass with lines of dirt showing that were about two feet wide where the villagers pulled up the grass and applied it as sod to the graves. Is that how it's done in the United States? Most people get sod from Home Depot, so this was unusual for me to see.

We were lucky enough to come upon the foundation of a house under construction. I snapped a few photos of the cement floor slab (no basement), with particular interest in the piping. Nothing was labeled, and even if it was it would've been in Icelandic. We tried to identify areas of the room by the piping, but we couldn't even get as far as identifying what piping was what. Here's a image to give you a sense of what was going on.


That will give you something to think about until my next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment